Song Title: You Are Not
Length: 4:08
This band is a High Wycombe/London based band that makes alternative
rock; they have had ten years on the British rock music scene. I think that
this music video doesn’t have to pay that much attention to their image because
they have already had ten years active and I think that their image should
already been known to regular fans like me – even though the band members are
portraying characters. This bands image
has changed gradually from their first album released in 2009, but it has been
nothing to dramatic for them to need to make it obvious. Their image has
changed gradually because their music has changed from 2009 to the present day,
their music is now softer and more melodic and in a way strategic from their
songs in the past, and they would have then had to change their image
accordingly. As they’re more gothic look wouldn’t match the music that they are
making today.
The genre of this music video is alternative rock this is portrayed
well throughout this video, as there are rock connotations of heavily tattooed
band members. There are many meat shots in this music video of the lead singer,
because this video is based around his actions and so therefore would have to
be a lot of shots focused him. There are many extreme close-ups of the lead
singer in this music video and I think that this can be linked to the narrative
as the camera is showing a story and Gustav’s facial expression will aid the
role that he is trying to play. I think that for this video all of the members
have taken on a role of a different character, as in real life Gustav isn’t a
‘thug’ type of person.
This music video doesn’t show how they are in live performances.
This music video is very mellow and mild compared to their stage presence. On
stage this band are really energetic but in this music video there is a lot of
slow motion and this doesn’t create a real on stage image that Andrew Goodwin’s
theory suggests so in this case the theory is not fully supported by this music
video.
Narrative:
The music video to this song is very contradictory, as it has no
relevance to the lyrics of the song. The lyrics of this song are repetitive and
have no words that can illustrate the scenes in the music video. Without the
video, you wouldn’t be able to think of the scenes and frames that would match
with the lyrics, because there’s no words that create imagery in your head. Having
said that, the video that has been created for this song is very good given the
fact that there are not many adjectives in this song that can create an image.

Representation:
I think that there is a lot of star image in this music video, being
that all of the band members do portray characters. I think that this is good
as it shows that the members feel passion for this song. Other genres of music
videos don’t portray this as effectively, because for instance the pop genre
music videos are of a faster pace, so I think that it’s harder to feel the
passion. I also think that the slow-motion effect that is present in this music
video contributes to the emotion in this song because you can fully feel the
emotion and facial expressions more clearly as opposed to the faster pace
videos.
This video does show the rock band stereotypes; although it does it
effectively because these members are playing characters and so they have done
correctly in covering up some of the unique features of these people. Such as
the beginning of this video we see Gustav in a black leather jacket, this makes
him seem and look like an ordinary person, although later after he has acted
like a criminal he has a costume change to them reveal tattoos, which is
stereotyped to more rough-looking people. I don’t think that this video does
encourage behaviour like this because outside of these characters the band
members are relatively nice people.
Audience:
The
audience for this particular video differs from anything else that Young Guns
have ever done before. I think this because this video includes sensitive
scenes that watchers of this video may feel distressed about. This is things
such as the use of knives, blood, theft and trespassing. Because of this, I
think that their audience’s age is over 15s and because of the image of this
band, I think that there is an age cap of under 30s. When viewing this video in
other formats such as On Demand they don’t ask for the parental pass code to be
able to view. However, if I were to put a cap on this myself this is the age
range that I would set.
The character that we follow throughout this video trespassed. He walks through someone’s house; this house belongs to the character that we see in the previous frame. I think that this adds to the video’s effectiveness because it shows the lengths this character is willing to go, to get revenge on another character that later appears to be his ex-girlfriend. As this video shows this character (the ex-girlfriend), I think that this video could show personal relationships, because the lead character that we see all the way through has gotten into some trouble especially with the gang at the beginning. This video doesn’t try to mask any of the explicit content in this video and I think that this is good as more the viewers get more interested in the video to see what happens to the character after he’s done all these criminal acts.


No comments:
Post a Comment